I came from a small Kampung in Lombok and because of financial reasons, I didn’t have the chance to go to university, so I started working at the hotel for the first time as a bell boy. I didn’t even have an idea what ‘bell boy’ was at that time. Fast forward, I was soon promoted to reception, and then I worked in several other hotels. Later I moved to Jakarta and had a scholarship to study in Paris for 2 years. Since 2007, I was so fortunate to join in Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort and then moved to Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers with huge project of full renovation and in 2015 I had the wonderful opportunity to open Four Points by Sheraton Bali, Kuta as the first Four Points brand in Indonesia.
When I started my career at the hotel, all I want to be is to be a good leader that can bring fun work environment to the team. At the end, you will spend most of your time around each other.
As the General Manager of Four Points by Sheraton Kuta, how do you motivate your subordinates to achieve their target?
To always challenge yourself, you’re not competing with other people, but against yourself. We should not be happy to be good, but be happier when we achieve greater things. You can only achieve it with the best team. Some say “it’s not the team with the best players that win; it’s the players with the best team that wins.”
Name us three of your most favorite places to hang out on your free time
- Ubud is my favorite, because that’s where I had my honeymoon with my wife and celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary
- Uluwatu’s sunset, I love a place with a view
- Sometimes, I spent most of the week just being at home relaxing with my music. My iTunes is the most updated thing I have
Which celebrity would you rate as a perfect 10
Jon Bon Jovi. The real rock star and hasi dedicated his life to family, fans and music.
What is the advantage of Four Points by Sheraton Kuta that makes it stands out from its competitors?
- The only international chain hotel in the street that set away from busy main roads and with global loyalty program benefits.
- Walking distance to Legian street, art shops, Beachwalk shopping mall and to the iconic Kuta Beach also nearby Waterbom Park
- The only hotel in Kuta with restaurant featuring wood fired pizza oven
- Fantastic location with beautiful rustic style. All spots are unique and “instagrammable”. No matter what you wear or who you are, you will feel at home
What do you think the most important traits to have to be a good General Manager?
I want my team to be able to talk to me about anything at anytime. I am the kind of person who doesn’t like to show my stress to the team. If you show you are stressed, they tend to be more stressed than you. And they start to filter the things because they don’t want to give you any stress. And contrary to many beliefs, as the General Manager I don’t think you have to know everything and have to have an answer for every question but it’s more important if your team knows you are there to support them.
What is ‘happiness’ according to you?
Home and family
Are there any plans for the property in a year to come? Please spoil a little detail for our readers
Promote our Vertigo Rooftop Pool & Bar with more social events and private group events. I want this place to be the coziest spot to chill and hang out with friends for drinks and light bites.